Friday, December 28, 2012

Modern Mosaic - A Quiet Quilt

My christmas gift for my mother. Quilt Margret

You saw the work-in-progress here and it was also part of my Finish-A-Long Q4 List.

She asked for a quilt that matches their new sofa which is dark grey. The walls are beige and brown-beige and I wanted to make a quiet quilt – few colours, no complicated design, just one block to rest your eye upon.

So I took my fabric colour chart along and chose the colours that match the room perfectly. I pieced five mosaic blocks and put them together to one big cross and put it off-centre in a large dark grey space.

DSC_0727

I free motion quilted within the white narrow stripes of the cross. Then I quilted some irregularily spaced straight lines in all four directions of the cross. I wanted the cross to “radiate”. The negative space that was left was filled by “cobblestones”: free motion quilted rectangles with rounded corners. I wanted to revisit the design of the mosaic though in a calmer way.

I used a lighter grey thread to let the quilting show a bit better. I did not want to let it blend in completetly with the background as the negative space takes such a great part in this quilt.

DSC_0735

I finished the quilt with a beige binding and my favourite triple zig zag stitch.

DSC_0740

And here is the picture that inspired me to make this quilt:

Kirchenflagge inspiration

I saw this church flag during our summer holidays and wanted to turn the design into a quilt. We passed it several times during strong winds and I never stopped to take a photo. I alwas wanted to but never had my camera ready. Oh how I regret that! On our last day I remembered to take my camera – and there was nearly no wind at all )o: I had to wait several minutes for a gust of wind to take this picture.

Here’s hoping that next time I’ll remember to take photos of inspirations right away instead of waiting… At least they didn’t pull down the flag for good…

Happy Quilting!
Christine

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Christine. This is utterly beautiful and impressive.
    I love the whole of it; the inspiration, the mosaic, the quilting.
    I bet your Mum is chuffed to bits with it.
    Glad to hear that you have enjoyed the Holidays. Hope you managed to get a rest and recharge.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt, Christine! It just shows that a quilt doesn't have to be busy. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting on this is really gorgeous! I love the extended lines from the cross itself, and then the 'bricks' all around the rest of the space. It gives a really lovely feel, even just by looking at it! Congratulations, I'm sure your Mother must love it, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. Quiet yet powerful. I'm sure your Mum will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely. I like how you took the inspiration flag and made it your own. great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty, I'm sure your mother will love it! I love taking an "inspiration piece" and figuring out how to make my own version of it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work with this!! The color matching idea is wonderful and the focal point being the cross is an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it was a lot of piecing, I love the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful quilt. I love the quilting - your cobblestones are beautiful. The large and single motif is so modern and the asymmetrical placement really works well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine, that's beautiful! I love the simplicity of it, and your gorgeous quilting! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing the inspiration! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt, love love love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt. I love your telling about the inspiration. The cobblestones are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that quilt. I find I'm drawn to the Modern Quilting look. I'm also drawn to improvisational piecing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to leave me a comment. You make my day :o)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...